Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Dry heaving and stomach burns : What more info? : No alcohol

Customer Question

Dry heaving and stomach burns
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What more info?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No alcohol has been consumed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some additional information.

How long has this been bothering you?

Is the burning in the upper abdomen?

Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lower abdominal with no meds taken
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 4 hours

Thank you for the additional information.

Dry heaving with lower abdominal burning of short duration is most often due to a viral infection of the gut, called a gastroenteritis. It is also possible to get lower abdominal burning and dry heaves from a urinary tract infection, but if a urinary infection is bad enough to cause nausea and vomiting, there would typically be urinary symptoms.

For a viral gastroenteritis, the usual approach is to relieve symptoms. Like most common viruses, there is no medicine that will directly eradicate the virus. For relief of symptoms, the best that can be acquired over the counter include certain antihistamines that can ease nausea, vomiting, and dry heaves, such as Benadryl/diphenhydramine or Dramamine/meclizine. It is also fine to take acetaminophen for the abdominal discomfort associated with the burning. It is also OK to use medicines to ease stomach acid, such as antacids, ranitidine, or omeprazole. It also is good to limit oral intake initially to clear liquids, such as fruit juices or sports drinks. Different people have different responses to carbonated beverages. Some people find that they may sooth the nausea, vomiting, and dry heaves, but others find that the carbonation makes it worse. For example, my wife finds that ginger ale helps to settle her stomach. In addition, it would be appropriate to avoid clear liquids that contain caffeine, as it can further irritate the stomach.

If these interventions ease the symptoms and the symptoms resolve spontaneously, as would be expected with a viral infection, then no further evaluation or care is needed. If the symptoms persist, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me via my profile at