Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Just had blood drawn , my count I 49,not sure if that is AST

Customer Question

Just had blood drawn , my count I 49,not sure if that is AST or ALT
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This is a minimal elevation of either the AST or ALT. The normal range will vary somewhat between labs, but even with the most conservative normal range, this would be a minimal elevation.

The AST and ALT are very sensitive blood tests, and active inflammation of the liver will cause elevations into the 100s and 1000s. Since it is so sensitive, any elevation up to 5 times the upper limit of the normal range is considered a mild elevation. A level of 49 would be considered a minimal elevation, and is likely normal. The normal range is defined statistically and includes 95% of the normal population, so that also means that 5% of normal people will have a result that is slightly outside the normal range, so minimal elevations are usually normal.

If there are no other symptoms, findings on exam, or lab abnormalities, the most that doctors would typically do for an ALT or AST at this level would be to check it again after a period of time to assure that it is not increasing.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at