Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Been smelling a funny odor 6 weeks . Seen my ent and primary

Customer Question

Been smelling a funny odor for past 6 weeks . Seen my ent and primary Doctor . Sinusitis found and bacterial infection, been on antibiotic for over a week ( vancomycin ). Been doing nasal steroid rinses and with the vancomycin mixed in . No improvement . Ent saw some
Polyps close to olfactory nerve and evidence of damage to both nerves . Had mri done to make sure no tumors or anything causing smell . All clear . So What could be causing this . Mri only showed mild sinusitis . ( bacteria was found due to a culture ). And if I can't figure out that is causing it is there any way to mask it . It is a moldy /
Mildew like smell . ( no fungus found in culture ) . I would even give up smelling Anythjng ( sense of smell is already limited ... Had surgery 2 years ago due it) . It's such a foul
And anxiety provoking smell . When I eat or drink something , I don't smell it . Can do that all the time . Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Sinusitis can cause it

Polyps can cause it.

Seizure disorder can cause it.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/