DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Been smelling a funny odor 6 weeks . Seen my ent and primary

Customer Question

Been smelling a funny odor for past 6 weeks . Seen my ent and primary Doctor . Sinusitis found and bacterial infection, been on antibiotic for over a week ( vancomycin ). Been doing nasal steroid rinses and with the vancomycin mixed in . No improvement . Ent saw some
Polyps close to olfactory nerve and evidence of damage to both nerves . Had mri done to make sure no tumors or anything causing smell . All clear . So What could be causing this . Mri only showed mild sinusitis . ( bacteria was found due to a culture ). And if I can't figure out that is causing it is there any way to mask it . It is a moldy /
Mildew like smell . ( no fungus found in culture ) . I would even give up smelling Anythjng ( sense of smell is already limited ... Had surgery 2 years ago due it) . It's such a foul
And anxiety provoking smell . When I eat or drink something , I don't smell it . Can do that all the time . Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Sinusitis can cause it

Polyps can cause it.

Seizure disorder can cause it.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/