Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My husband was in a 4wheeler accident Monday night ..

Customer Question

My husband was in a 4wheeler accident Monday night .. suffered broken ribs and shoulder blade but the biggest concern is a lacerated liver rated at a 4 .. they stopped the bleeding in high pressure arteries but still had oozing from low pressure veins which they decided to see if they would stop bleeding on their own. He received 2 units of blood the 1st night and 1 unit the next day. His hemoglobin was at 10.2 on Tuesday but continues to drop and is at 7.1 now. His blood pressure was low but is now at 130/90 and heart rate at 130 ... oxygen stays at 93 but only with oxygen mask and he feels like he's suffocating but nurses say it's due to ribs and excess blood around the liver ... they started epideral today for better pain management --- I really feel like they are missing something and that maybe he's still bleeding internally .. can you tell me what to watch for and what questions to ask
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

The hemoglobin in this situation, if there is a high heart rate, and/or low blood pressure, would indicate for a need for more packed red cells.

They would know if they controlled the bleeding.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Why is does the hemoglobin continue to drop

because the actual value lags behind the blood loss.

But if it continues, then he needs more packed cells.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/