Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a blood test and my chol/Hdl is 2.93 what does than

Customer Question

I took a blood test and my chol/Hdl is 2.93 what does than mean and what can I do to change it
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I just took my yearly blood test I haven't taken the best care of my self in the last 2 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: hdl Cholesterol is 67
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This ratio and HDL levels are both excellent. The desired goal for the cholesterol/HDL ratio is <3.5, and an HDL cholesterol level of >60 is protective against heart disease.

The HDL cholesterol is the good cholesterol, so more is better. The ratio of cholesterol to HDL can be lowered bby decreasing the total cholesterol or increasing the HDL cholesterol, and either is good.

Of course, the LDL cholesterol also should be considered, but since I can calculate the total cholesterol from the HDL and the ratio, I can also see that the LDL clearly is not going to be elevated into a dangerous range.

So, these cholesterol numbers are excellent from the perspective of heart disease risk. So, there also is no need to do anything to change it based solely on these numbers.

Of course, there are other risk factors for heart disease, and in someone with heart disease from other risk factors, we may still want to lower cholesterol, even it the cholesterol is relatively good to start with. But these numbers, by themselves, do not require any treatment.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/