Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I am having pain in the lower left side toward the bottom of

Customer Question

Hello I am having pain in the lower left side toward the bottom of my ribs. The pain has been around for the last 2 months or so and progressively getting worse. The pain can best be described as a sharp stinging pain. I am not sure if it is pain from my spleen, stomach or any other organ but I do know when I touch under my ribs I feel slight tenderness (or at least I think I do). Any help would be great, thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?

Any change in bowel movements?

Burning urination?

Have you undergone any tests?

Are you on any medications?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the pain does occur, I would rate it a 6/7.No medications but I do take lactation pills, biotin, and fish oil daily for the last 10 months (because I breastfeed my baby). Also I am a 23 year old female, if that helps.Lastly, for the last 2-3 weeks I have been burping repeatedly throughout the day can this be a problem associated with my rib pain? Or is this another separate issue?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

These symptoms can be due to any of these possible causes-
-Kidney stone
-Diverticulitis
-Cystitis
-Gas or constipation.

Diverticulitis is the inflammation or infection of the bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine called as diverticulosis. It causes severe pain in left lower side of the abdomen.
The exact cause in not known. It is caused by small pieces of stool (feces) that become trapped in these pouches, causing infection or inflammation.

A clinical examination, tests should be done for diagnosis.
It includes-
-Ultrasound of abdomen,
-Urine test,
-Complete blood count.
In the meantime take an oral painkiller Motrin 400mg twice a day and take light diet or fluids and rest.

Most likely, after looking at your symptoms , these are related with excess formation of gas.

Such symptoms can come due to increase swallowing of gas during drinking and increase production of gas in colon from undigested food.

You should avoid foods which are causing increase in gas production, You should not eat/drink too fast, chew the food properly, increase water intake, avoid smoking, cut down fat intake, and increase your daily mobility.

You should avoid these foods-

beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads and carbonated drinks.

You can try OTC simethicone to reduce such symptoms. This would be helpful.
Lifestyle habits such as meal timings, regular sleep timings and most importantly regular bowel movements are also important. Some amount of physical activity is essential for the efficient functioning of your digestive system.

Probiotics may also be useful in treating flatulence.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
It is advised that you should eat six small meals a day rather than three large ones. Smaller meals are easier to digest and may produce less gas.
Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. Take Zantac 150mg twice a day.
A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.
You should get your diet planned from dietitian.

Please follow above measures, and most likely you would be free from symptoms.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
aside from diverticulitis what else might it potentially be because my pain feels like it's coming from my lower left ribs and not my lower abdomen?And also do you think me burping so frequently all of a sudden for the last few weeks (because my diet/exercise hasn't changed) might be related to my pain or a separate issue?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear,

I can understand your concern.

There is excess formation of gas which is the most likely cause for your symptoms.

However, as pain has been lasting since last two months, so it should be thoroughly investigated by doctor.

You need to have tests done, as advised in previous post.

Other possibility is-

Irritable bowel syndrome.

Exact cause for IBS is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-

-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity.

Please start with dietary changes as advised and see your doctor.

God bless you and take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear,

Do you have any follow up questions?

Thank you

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 6 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya experienced Physician attending you

I disagree with the above expert.

It is a straight forward diagnosis.

Your chest pain is due to gastritis/ reflux/ gastric ulcer

Definitely not related to intestinal issue.

Indigestion / Gastritis can be due to H.pylori

You need to get 3 things done.

1. Upper GI Endoscopy

2. ECG/Echo

3. H.pylori test.

Based on the result you will be treated.

Hope this helps. Forget about diverticulitis and IBS

Request to leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, so that I'm compensated.

Any doubts, I'm always here. I appreciate any bonus

Best Regards