Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

Grandpa 82 had a TIA this morning. Lasted 30 min.He had in

Customer Question

Grandpa 82 had a TIA this morning. Lasted 30 min.He had in the past dizziness. He drinks almost daily unfortunately. This scared his
He is in the hospital and they did a CT. No abnormalities. bp is well
What is the treatment going to be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan. I'm sorry to hear your Grandpa had this problem and hope he recovers quickly. The treatment post TIA is to maintain good blood pressure; decrease alcohol intake to no more than 1-2 ounces daily; low dose aspirin daily(81 or 162mg) or a blood thinner, if his doctor feels that is appropriate. I hope this information is helpful and he does well in the future. Should you have any additional questions I am here to help. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok they did CT and did not see abnormality. Also EEG was normal
He is back to his normal self now
Is warfarin recommended here or mainly plavix? He takes aspirin daily already
Also he says he yawns everyday like more than usual. Isn't yawning a neurological sign?
Should they do carotid studies? At his age a surgery is anyway out of question
So what makes sense to be done to prevent stroke at 82 years old?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
Great, no abnormalities with studies. Warfarin requires frequent blood tests, so Plavix or one of the other blood thinners would be better. He should continue the aspirin until decision as to blood thinner made and started. Yawning may be a sign that he is trying to get more oxygen or just from being tired. Carotid studies only if pathology is found and surgery is contemplated. Begin the blood thinner recommended by his doctor, possibly the use of low dose external oxygen and hope he follows the recommendations of his doctor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He would not take both aspirin and plavix the same day?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
There have been studies that indicate the use of both Plavix and aspirin together can cause an increased risk of bleeding. His doctor would be the best one to make the decision to use Plavix alone or both Plavix and low dose aspirin based on his overall assessment of Grandpa.