Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I'm afraid that my family & I have had pubic lice now. We

Customer Question

I'm afraid that my family & I have had pubic lice for years now. We have tried permethrin, ivermectin & numerous other products for ourselves for weeks at a time to get rid of them, as well as treatments for clothing & furniture, but it hasn't worked yet. It has gotten to the point where the lice are getting into our ears & causing infections. Is there any guaranteed course of treatment?
A comprehensive oral treatment would be preferred, if available, what would be the maximum possible dosage of ivermectin for us (2 adults, a 5 year old & a 3 year old) & how long could it be sustained to ensure eradication from ourselves & bedding, furniture, etc.?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Daviddo you have animals in the home? you need them treated as wellhow do you know you have lice? these could be fleas in the bedding and furniture or bed bugsthe maximium dose of ivermectin for adults is 12mg once a day for 7 days for 3 weeks given with food.for children the dose is based on weight. 15-25kg 3mg, may repeat in 3 months26-44kg 6mg with food, may repeat in 3 months.45-64kg, 9mgyou need to have your doctor examine the family and the bug infetction to make sure it is liceall of the bedding and furnature need to be treated with hot steam and bedding washed in hot water.all the carpets and fabric need to be cleaned in the home.all dead skin cells need to be cleaned away from the furniture.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using
do you have any other questions?