Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've just had sudden onset of bad diahorea. Accompanied with

Customer Question

I've just had sudden onset of bad diahorea. Accompanied with cramps in my stomach on and off. Otherwise been feeling ok. I'm not feeling sick or anything. On holiday at an all inclusive resort in spa so the food has been buffet style, could this perhaps be a reaction to mussels?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I would be glad to answer your question today. Yes, it is possible to acquire an acute diarrheal illness from mussels. There are certain bacteria that can accumulate in mussels, such as Vibrio species. This would cause diarrhea and may cause abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting. It is also possible for mussels to be the source of certain viral infections, such as Norovirus. There also is a toxin associated condition that can occur with mussels, called Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning. As the name implies this would usually cause neurologic symptoms in addition to diarrhea, such as numbness in the mouth and face, poor coordination, or altered temperature perception. However, mild cases may have diarrhea as the only symptom. The risk of infection from mussels is obviously much higher if not properly cooked Even though there are several possible causes of diarrhea from mussels, it is still much more likely that this is unrelated to the mussels and is instead due to a viral infection of the gut. However, if the symptoms are more severe, it would be appropriate to see a doctor for further evaluation. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.