Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

Just wondering what my bloodwork meant with RDW at 17.1 JA:

Customer Question

Just wondering what my bloodwork meant with RDW at 17.1
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am not sure what you need? I am 62, weight is 102, MCV normal range, female.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am on pain meds for arthritis and synthroid for my thyroid condition.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Salama MD,RDW refers to red cell distribution width. Meaning it will be elevated if you have a great variability in the sizes of your red blood cells. It can be seen in certain conditions such as various types of anemias but it does not have much significance in the presence of a normal MCV and Hemoglobin.Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.