Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been taking Metaprolol years now. I also have COPD. I

Customer Question

I have been taking Metaprolol for several years now. I also have COPD. I have tried to tell my doctor that I think I might be sensitive to the medicine because shortly after starting it, my breathing became much, much worse. Then I was for bronchitis with a predisone medication and it became even worse. One time the doctor tried to take me off the Metaprolol and go to a different blood pressure medication. I started to shake uncontrollably and my blood pressure shot way up. How can I convince my doctor that this medicine is bad for me without making her mad?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Metoprolo is contraindicated in patients with COPD as it cause bronchoconstriction. You can request your doctor to put you on lasix or calcium channel blocker and wait for about a week and taper off metoprolol slowly so that your body get used to other medication.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Wish you good health.