Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

I though I had bruised my ribs at a concert a week and a

Customer Question

I though I had bruised my ribs at a concert a week and a half ago. Yesterday I sneezed really hard and heard a pop/crack sound on my left side where the pain had been originating. Now I can barely use my left arm and it seems getting out of bed is going to be difficult for a bit.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Changing position and using my left arm seem to be the worst of it apart from coughing and sneezing and such.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: IB and bedrest. I haven't gone to a DR yet, because money is a tough thing.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that's related to this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Welcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.I am sorry to hear about your problem. Well, hard sneeze could cause fracture of rib.The fracture causes pain while respiration (due to movement of the fractured fragment and its pressure on the underlying pleura or lung).As you are not able to use arm, and have severe problem in getting out from bed, so this is most likely rib fracture. In case Rib has been fractured then Complications can occur if internal organs are damaged by the sharp end of a broken rib.It is possible that you may suffer from -Pneumothorax- It occurs when membrane around the lung is damaged.-Haemothorax.-Chest infections. You need to get immediate Chest x-ray and management should be done ASAP.For the time, You can take Motrin, warm compress should relieve pain and discomfort. Raise the head part of his bed for comfort in breathing. Please don't delay and rush to ER ASAP. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh