Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I have IBS is it necessary to keep going to a

Customer Question

I have IBS is it necessary to keep going to a gastroenterologist. He did a colonoscopy two years ago.
Harriet
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.
GreetingsIf your colonoscopy was normal, the diagnosis of "IBS" is well established, and you have no ongoing GI symptoms, then it is not necessary to go to the gastroenterologist periodically, just as needed. Your family doctor can certainly assist you with it's managementBut, should your IBS symptoms significantly change or your develop new GI symptoms, then you have to be re-checked by your GI doctor, preferably the same one who took care of you previouslyIf this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credited of the service. You may still email me questions on this topic after the rating. Best wishes