Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I've noticed that my thumb nails have changed shape from the

Customer Question

I've noticed that my thumb nails have changed shape from the nails on my fingers, which are normal. It is almost like my thumbnails have "pushed together" causing a sort of higher ridge from cuticle. When I look at the nail from the edge back, it is sort of ^ shaped not rounded like my fingernails. Could this be an indication I've got something going wrong with my health?
JA: My toenails are my secret shame. We will not discuss them further. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm 71 years old. Excellent health. No aches or pains. Slight arthritis but not a problem. Have always had health nails but, as age, they are more brittle. I care for them and toenails weekly. This ^ shape I noticed some time ago, but didn't think much about it, until I've decided it could be a sign of a health issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidcan you upload clear jpg images of your nails?here are instructionstype a word in the textbox and highlight itthen select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpgthis opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer