Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Just consumed one red cough drop. Did half gallon prep at 6

Customer Question

Just consumed one red cough drop. Did half gallon prep at 6 pm and took cough drop at 1:00 am. Scheduled to drink second half gallon at 7:30 am for 1:30 p.m. Test. Have I so contaminated the prep that I will need to cancel the test?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you. No, the red cough drop will not adversely affect the prep, so it will not be contaminated and there is no need to cancel the test. It is commonly recommended to avoid any cough drops on the day of the procedure, but this is anticipating that the procedure would frequently be done in the morning. Since your test is scheduled for 1:30 pm, it is not an issue that you took a cough drop at 1:00 am. However, you should not consume any further cough drops, particularly not after awakening and taking the remaining half gallon. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at