Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 17 year old son has chronic bronchitis and uses daily

Customer Question

My 17 year old son has chronic bronchitis and uses daily Symbicort 80/4.5 two puffs twice per day. He now is actively sick with bronchitis and just used his albuterol nebulizer. How long ( minutes/hours) do we have to wait to give him his night time symbicort??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Albuterol is an inhaler that is also called as the "reliever" and it is used on an as required basis whenever there is worsening shortness of breath or wheezing.Even if he has taken albuterol just now, he can take his symbicort after a few minutes.Symbicort can be given immediately after albuterol, if the dose of symbicort is due i.e. if he takes two puffs 8 am and two puffs 8 pm and has used albuterol at 7:45 pm he can still take symbicort on his routine time i.e. 8 pm.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the time restriction I am thinking of with the albuterol itself? For example, if he takes it at 8 pm he cannot take another does for two hours??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the time restriction on albuterol?? Can't take but every 2-4 hours?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
the time restriction is on albuterol but if the symptoms are severe then albuterol can be repeated up to three times with a gap of 15 minutes between each dose.But generally albuterol is a reliever and only taken as and when required.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response as I was busy with my patients here in my clinic.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards