Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Need surgeon or surgical nurse to answer. What is this tube

Customer Question

Need surgeon or surgical nurse to answer. What is this tube left in husband's body? He just had a liver transplant 1 week ago and is home now. He just had a BM and has been checking it for abnormal color or blood per discharge instructions. He saw strange object in his stool and extracted it. It is about 4 inches and hard plastic. It has numbered segments. If you blow it up you can see the numbers. Can you tell us what this is and what it is used for? He also had a tube in his nose for extracting stomach acid. Other tubes may have been used during the surgery such as a drain tube that he had for draining fluid and blood that swelled his stomach after surgery. They pumped 3.2 liters of blood out of his abdomen at one point with a parenthesis procedure.
He has been having severe burning in his stomach, acid, bloating and pain in his stomach. Could this tube be responsible.
Also, his bleeding under the skin and bruising has spread a lot since H got home pn Wednesday. I'd like to have you look at the first photo taken of the bruising the last day he was in the hospital and how it looks today.
He has a follow up with his surgeon tomorrow but we'd like to have your outside opinion (you won't be quoted) beforehand. Hoping for response in next few hours.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 months ago.
can I help Tommi?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I attach photos for you to look at?
I did just get a call from RN who is his transplant coordinator. She said it is a stent used during transplant "not attached to anything" and that it typically comes out in the stool and if it doesn't they do an EGD abd pull it out that way.
Does that sound right?
Just attach the pics here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no link to attach anything that I can find.
if you accept additional services you can email me.I will discount it for you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The surgeon provided an acceptable explanation today so I no longer need input on this. Thanks.