Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My husband suffered a trauma to his chest resulting I. A

Customer Question

My husband suffered a trauma to his chest resulting I. A very large bruise about 3-4 weeks ago. It started off as a large red/purple lump about 10 centre metres wide and has now disappeared. My question is whether this would impact his hemaglobin levels in a full blood count test.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, not as this stage. Everything else in his full blood count was normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloIn some cases, yes.If the bruise is extremely large, it can actually cause some drop in hemoglobin.I have seen this several times in my career.However, other causes of lowered hemoglobin must also be considered and ruled out. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here