Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My palate( I think it's called) has risen in back of my

Customer Question

My palate( I think it's called) has risen in back of my mouth/ throat. Is there a way to push it down? Does salt really work and what causes it to happen?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou are most likely talking about your soft palate which is behind the hard palate which is the hard roof of your mouth.the soft palate can rise with advanced age or with weight lossyou should see an ENT doctor who can look into your nasopharynx and back of your throat to look for problems."The volume of the soft palate and lingual tonsils, as measured by MRI, exhibited a statistically significant decrease in volume with aging."this can be a normal part of agingdo you have a doctor who can look at the back of your throat? salt would not cause this to happen. let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No can salt make the palate go down or return to normal
no. most likely salt or gargling with salt will not help the area return back to normal.most likely it is a normal part of the aging process for youhave you had any problems swallowing or talking? you don't have a doctor?
do you have any other questions?