Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand have felt like they

Customer Question

my thumb and 3 fingers on my left hand have felt like they are "asleep" for a week now. No matter what I do they are tingling. It happens occasionally in my feet and very occasionally in my other hand but that is very rare. Not sure what is going on or when it will go away???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

It seems that your median nerve is involved causing the fingers to feel asleep.

Median nerve supplied the sensations to thumb and adjoining two and half fingers.

Most commonly this happens due to a condition known as carpal tunnel syndrome where the median nerve gets compressed at entrance of nerve into hand at wrist.

A simple test of nerve conduction velocity will tell us the true nature of pathology.

Meanwhile you may get relief by using a carpal tunnel splint and by taking a medicine like pregabalin or gabapentin which your doctor can prescribe for you.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

This is beyond the median nerve, which would only cause this on the first half of the ring finger.

it would have nothing to sod with the feet.

You need evaluation of the cervical spine and the lumbar spine.

As well as additional work up.

This is a wider problem than carpal tunnel.

See a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, or an orthopedist.

Please click a positive rating on this post, to give me credit if you appreciate my answer.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/