Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I have a dear friend who has been grossly overweight, has

Customer Question

I have a dear friend who has been grossly overweight, has finally lost almost 100 pounds (due to swallowing issues, likely), is in a nursing home and has bad bed sores. The family has given up and I understand this. But it's worth asking: is there an effective treatment for bed sores? One of her CNAs indicated that there is a treatment where medication is applied directly to (in?) the sore as opposed to topical creams. She is 67. If there were some hope here, she might be able to be turned on her side for part of the day. I will tell you -- pretty much everyone has given up. However, she is a fabulous person and it's worth asking a doctor about an effective treatment for bedsores.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan here to help you today. Yes there is effective treatment for bed sores with applied medication. Also, to prevent additional sores, turning side to side is also a requirement. Her doctor or the attending doctor at the nursing home will evaluate and order appropriate treatment. I hope this helps and I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Your friend show also be evaluated for diabetes. If she has irregular blood sugars, that can interfere with the healing of bedsores. Keeping the wound moist, surgical debridement and many more therapies are available. Your friend can be successfully treated. Dr. Stan
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Were you able to get a doctor to begin therapy?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloAt this point a wound specialist needs to be called in.Creams and turning alone have clearly already been done.There are not only newer agents that revitalize tissue, but this person probably needs surgical cleaning of some of the wounds.The wound specialist is often a surgeon.A comprehensive approach is needed.Not simply CNA advice at this point.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
I agree and the starting point is her attending physician or the nursing home medical director.