Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Are you a real person JA: I'm an assistant to the Doctor. I

Customer Question

Are you a real person
JA: I'm an assistant to the Doctor. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: So yes your a person
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I always feel tired and sick I have a heart condition when I was two years old, I had open heart surgery, I stopped going to get checked almost 6 years ago. Now I always have very high blood pressure, and my legs and feet swell
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.What type of heart disease did you have as a child?How high is the blood pressure?Are you having any shortness of breath?Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A VSD two holes in my heart,no I'm not on any meds,right now my blood pressure is 153/100
Thank you for the additional information. There are several considerations in this situation. When someone that had a heart defect that requires repair as a child now has tiredness and leg swelling, the first concern would be that there is heart dysfunction, specifically that the heart is not pumping as strongly as would be expected. However, a VSD that has been repaired as a child typically would not cause heart dysfunction when a young adult. If you were having any shortness of breath, that would be more of a concern that there was some heart dysfunction. This level of high blood pressure is not at a level that would cause acute symptoms. High blood pressure is a risk factor for heart disease, but this risk accrues over years, rather than causing acute symptoms. Severe high blood pressure can cause acute symptoms, but this would typically require a blood pressure higher than 180/120. There are several conditions that would be unrelated to the history of VSD that could be causing the tiredness and leg swelling, such as anemia, liver disease, kidney dysfunction, or various metabolic conditions, such as thyroid disease. At this point, it would be appropriate to be seen and also have certain diagnostic tests, including a general chemistry profile, blood count, thyroid profile, and depending upon the findings on exam, an echocardiogram. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at