Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.

Is there any research that shows stevia and/or artificial

Customer Question

Is there any research that shows stevia and/or artificial sweeteners cause diabetes?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If so, please send links to or reference that research so that I can read it. Also, please send links to or reference any research to the contrary, that stevia and/or artificial sweeteners do not cause diabetes. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your question. a recently published article in journal " Nature " has suggested that non caloric artificial sweeteners may cause hyperglycemia rather than reducing blood sugar levels by altering the microbiome that is the world of bacteria in our gut.These include aspartame, sucralose and saccharine.This is a small study and much more work needs to be done to establish this as a fact.No other studies supporting this contention or opposing it have been published to the best of my knowledge after this study.You can read the complete article here. Stevia is a low calorie sweetener and is not included in this study.Stevia on the contrary is expected to fight against insulin resistance.See link.Another studyDo take a moment to rate my answer as this is the only way we get paid for our work and time on this website.