Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Itchy rash in lower abdomen and pubic area?

Customer Question

A few days ago a rash started on my lower stomach going all the way to my pubis area. The rash is extremely itchy and often warm to the touch. The itching is almost unbearable. To give you a background i am type diabetic and take metformin 500mg twice daily. I'm not sure if it's because i changed my laundry detergent or maybe i have foliculitis or cellulitis etc.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

This looks more infectious. The amount of itching would be more suspicious for a fungal infection, but for it to have gotten this bad this quickly is more suspicious for a bacterial infection. As a diabetic, you are at higher risk for both types of skin infections, and that also means that we would rather treat infection aggressively, particularly a bacterial infection.

It would be appropriate to try a topical antibiotic, such as Neosporin. Scratching can also exacerbate the problem, so it would be fine to take an antihistamine to control the itching. If this does not get better quickly with these home interventions, it would be appropriate to see your doctor to consider medicines that are stronger than what can be acquired over the counter.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have tried hydrocortisone 1% cream which relivees the itching temporarily and take benadryl. What type of antifungal do you recommend ? Canesten or Lamisil ? could i also take cephelaxin/Keflex 500mg ? since its fungal most likely and i have been scratching would it have not gotten on my hands by now also ?

If you have Keflex, that would be great to cover skin bacteria. As for an antifungal, either drug would be good, but I would usually use Lamisil.

Yes, scratching would get whatever germ on your hands, but hand washing with soap and water will control the gems on your hands.