Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I believe from his symptoms that my husband is starting to

Customer Question

I believe from his symptoms that my husband is starting to go into end stage alcoholism. He has been drinking since he was 8 and is now 50. There was a brief period during his 20's that he was sober. He had his colon removed when he was 25. He has a chronic cough, his short term memory is very bad, he has constant diarrhea (explosive) and his night sweats soak the bed. He went to his doctor earlier in the year to ask about Naltrexone therapy (he was very hopeful before the appointment), afterwards he was morosely depressed and said his doctor said it was dangerous and that there was no hope for him. Can I call and ask the doctor anything about my husband's health? I believe I may need to get long term care insurance and I want to know what his prognosis
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.
Naltrexone is not appropriate for patients with liver disease or who are taking opioids. Does he have liver disease?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He isn't taking opioids and I don't know about liver disease. He doesn't tell me what his doctor says
You should ask him. Otherwise I will not be able to answer your question.