Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

First time ever that I noticed blood in my stool. When

Customer Question

First time ever that I noticed blood in my stool. When should I call the doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Welcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. I understand your problem. If the blood was red and bright then the bleeding is likely to be occurring toward the end of the colon or in the rectum. You should not delay and urgently get it clinically evaluated from doctor.Possible reasons for blood mixed with stool are--Inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease.-Polyp,-Hemorrhoids- These are dilated blood vessels and depending on their location may feel like a bump around the anus. They are often itchy, painful, and if broken can produce bright red blood with bowel movements or on the tissue after wiping. It can be external or internal in nature.To make a diagnose you have to undergo these tests--Stool test, -Par rectum examination, -Complete blood count. Also If required colonoscopy may be considered.Please get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.If the bleeding is quite severe then you should have an urgent evaluation in ER ASAP. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh