Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Feels like all my food does't go down. something in my throat,

Customer Question

feels like all my food does't go down. something in my throat, No pain. No problem eating.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Welcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern Do you feel that some food is always left in throat?Shortness of breath?Do you suffer from acid reflux disease?Are you taking any medications? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
something is left in throat
no shortness of breath
no acid reflux disease
just take timerol for glaucoma
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems. Most likely you are having what is called as globus pharyngeus (also known as globus hystericus) in which a person feels as though there is something in the throat but there actually is nothing there.The most common cause of this condition is acid reflux into the throat. There is a condition called Oesophageal spasm - it occurs when there is abnormal contraction of the muscles around the gullet.You can start with Over the counter drugs such as Prilosec 20 mg twice a day used for a period of 4 weeks, but in some people the resolution of this sensation may take longer.Increased stress and anxiety can also cause this sensation as well.Testing such as fiberoptic endoscopy of the throat and barium swallow may be required to rule out other conditions that may be causing such symptoms.You need to make some dietary changes along with medications. Avoid chocolate fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages.Avoid beans, cabbage, and carbonated beverages. If you are overweight,loose some weight.Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. Take Zantac 150mg twice a day. Both of these are OTC drugs. Please follow above measures, and get it clinically evaluated. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloI am a double board certified US doctor.We do not diagnose and treat.We answer questions.This situation needs an examination from your doctor and not over the counter treatment.A barium swallow is likely the first test your doctor will do, to rule out a narrowing of the esophagus.I see that you say you have no acid reflux.This however, can be silent.Over the counter drugs in the face of your symptoms are not going to be effective in many cases, as they are not the correct strength.In addition more serious problems need to be ruled out by your doctor before treating.You have not really asked a specific question, so let me know if you have further questions.See a board certified internal medicine doctor such as myself. Next step. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here