DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm 56 years old and in 2009, when I was 49, I was

Customer Question

Hello. I'm 56 years old and in 2009, when I was 49, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. I am a former ballerina and very much in shape until 49. I went from 118 lbs to 189 pounds in 6 months. While I was on the road to recovery in 2010, I was almost at my true weight, all of a sudden, I gained back 35 pounds. While I was undergoing thyroid and hormonal treatment (progesterone, estrogen and testosterone), in 2011, I gained another 35 lbs and what is so frustrating, my face has completely changed! My face went from a beautiful heartshape face to a round, moon face, so swollen! I used to have a long neck and now my neck is swollen and thick.....my shoulders are humped as well! While my doctor took my cortisol test and said it was okay, I can't understand why I look this way. Plus I am now 145 lbs! I am thirty pounds over. I believe I have Cushing's syndrome, but will be checking with my doctor. Please advise what tests I should take. Are there any supplements that can help me? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you have a normal 24 hour urine collection for free cortisol you do not have cushings.IT is more likely that your thyroid is undertreated.Labs and most doctors think a normal TSH goes up to 4.5.This is not true.IN treated individuals, optimal tSH is around .8 for most people.Above that is relatively hypothyroid.Check your TSh.I suspect that you need an increase in your thyroid hormone replacement. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/