Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Should I be concern about my Ankles swollen and sore feeling.

Customer Question

should I be concern about my Ankles swollen and sore feeling. I do stand on cement floor most of the day. Thank you Teresa
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Since how long are you having this problem?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on levothyroxine and blood pressure atenolol .off and on for months.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.The most likely cause of your swelling is either due to incompetent veins of your legs that cannot push the blood up toward the heart. Incompetent veins are very common in people who stand for long hours.Another cause, since your ankle is also sore, is that you could be having bursitis which is inflammation in the fluid filled sac around the joints. Bursitis is also something that happens very commonly in people who stand for long hours or people who are sportsmen or women.If you have had a blood test recently in the last six months to a year they would have checked your kidney and liver function which rules out kidney or liver problem as the cause of your swelling.Heart disease is also something that may need to be considered but the thing that goes against it is that you are having painful swelling whereas in heart disease that swelling is painless.So the bot***** *****ne is that you may need to take rest for a week or two and hopefully things will improve.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards