Dr David Wright
Dr David Wright, Doctor
Experience:  MB BS DCH DRCOG MRCGP, Senior Partner Gillies and Overbridge Medical Partnership
93348631

My husband is 61. He has no appetite and has a low grade

Customer Question

My husband is 61. He has no appetite and has a low grade favor. Muscle aches, and a rash on his chest and back. Over the weekend his blood pressure dropped from his normal on pressure meds 125/86 to 90/58. His blood pressure is back up today but he also has blurry vision? Any ideas about what might be going on?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr David Wright replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I would need more information to be able to help here. Please can you let me know:1) when was he last completely well (ie when did this current illnes start). 2) is he normally in good health 3) is he taking any regular medication 4) please tell me more about the rash - is it raised or flat, does it fade on pressure, is it all over the chest or just in one place, dose it affect both sides of his chest and back, what colour is it. 5) does he have any other symptoms such as headache, flu like symptoms, abdominal pain or diarrhoea or vomiting.I look forward to being able to help you once I receive your replies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was completely well on Friday started feeling bad on Saturday. Rash is red not itchy slightly raised not oozing he takes metformin, januvia, blood pressure meds and a cholesterol med
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has the chills and he slept 14 hours last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No diarrhea no vomiting but does have a headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just told me he does have the diarrhea but not bad
Just a few more questions about the rash - does it affect both sides of his chest or back ie the right side and left side, or is it confined to just one side? And is it painful or itchy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both sides of chest not itchy at all and not painful not on back but a few spots
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had the shingles shot 2 years ago but wondering if it could be shingles?
Yes, we always wonder about shingles, but if the rash is affecting both sides of the chest, that rules shingles out.From what you have told me, the most likely cause of your husbands symptoms is a simple viral illness. These are quite often associated with spots or a rash. If this diagnosis is correct I would expect him to recover speedily over the next three to five days as they are self limiting conditions that get better on their own. Simple over the counter medications such as paracetamol or ibuprofen can be helpful. However, without examining your husband you will understand it is impossible to be certain about his condition so it is vital that you seek local medical advice if there is any deterioration or concern about his condition. I hope this has has been helpful. Dr ***** *****