Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I get nauseated upper stomach then I sneeze and it relieves

Customer Question

I get nauseated upper stomach then I sneeze and it relieves it for a while. What causes this to happen?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 6 months ago.
It can happen if you sneeze forcefully, causes your food pipe or esophagus to move fast causing nauseated feeling. GERD is one of the cause of such symptoms, other is allergy of upper airway.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
I can see that you are saying that sneezing relieves the nausea.There is no clear medical explanation for this.Unless, conjecturing, you have a hiatal hernia.This causes nausea because of associated acid reflux.Sneezing forces the diaphragm down, and might relieve the reflux for a time.TheoryI am a double board certified US doctor.Find me by request for correct answers.
Anti allergic medicine can help to resolve such symptoms.
I am working as an assistant professor, supervisor for training postgraduate students, gold medalist, fellowship in medicine and cardiology and Uk membership resident.