Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I recently had kidney cancer surgery. I have had a lot of abdominal

Customer Question

I recently had kidney cancer surgery. I have had a lot of abdominal and bladder pain since
Doctors have prescribed laxatives and pain medication. I don't seem to be getting any better and lose a lot of sleep. Are there other solutions to my pain problems?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is indeed frustrating. Did you receive any radiation treatment?nerve damage from the surgery is the likely cause. Bladder inflammation or interstitial cystitis is a strong possibility. Gabapentin and amitriptyline combination can be tried initially to control the symptoms. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloIn fact, this pain after this surgery is common.Particularly after the pain medications required.You need to talk with your doctors, since this surgery was recent.Scar tissue from the surgery can also interfere.Nerve damage from this surgery is very unlikely, in fact. There is no indication you would have interstitial cystitis.Gabapentin is not indicated here, nor is amitriptyline.You need follow up, to make sure you are not impacted as you have constipationwhich you clearly state.Most often, continued pain is due to constipation, and ineffectual use of laxatives. This can lead to a partial obstruction of the bowel, or impaction of stool, and this can become a danger. Exam and follow up required. You might also need an abdominal scan. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here