Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My hand is really hurting and wont wake up...what would be

Customer Question

my hand is really hurting and wont wake up...what would be the problem for all the pain
JA: Sorry to hear that you're in pain. The doctors and specialists are on call 24/7 to get you answers and put you on the road to recovery. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: tigling sensations all up and down my arm and hand
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: its been ongoing for three days ansd my fingers are numb...it really hurts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Im very sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing this sort of pain can be due to a few things but the most likely scenario here is that there is a problem with the nerve supply of your hand. It is possible that one of the nerves which supply your hand is trapped or compressed at a location between the shoulder and the wrist. This can even be compressed near the elbow joint. It can occur due to a number of causes including trauma or sleeping in an awkward position. If this is the case then you would have shooting sort of pain in the hand alongwith tingling sensations. The diagnosis is made fairly easily with the help of a simple clinical examination as well as with a nerve conduction study. The treatment varies, it can involve the use of physiotherapy, steroid injections, drugs like lyrica or neurontin for the pain and in some cases minor surgery to release the nerve. Another cause of this can be arthritis of the hand which can also affect the nerves in advanced cases causing the numbness. If this is the case a xray of the hand alongwith a clinical examination would be helpful. Some blood tests like ANA, RA factor and ESR would also be beneficial here. The treatment can be with painkillers as well as steroids alongwith specialized medication according to the type of arthritis. Now i would suggest that you start using OTC ibuprofen or naproxen which can help with the pain in the short term but do see your doctor who will examine the hand and determine which of the above tests would be most suited in your case. I believe this is likely to be a nerve issue. Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.
Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.