Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I have internal and external hemorrhoids, I also have a

Customer Question

Hi, I have internal and external hemorrhoids, I also have a lazy bowel/rectal area. This means that I don't pass fecal matter very often, I am often bloated and I have had fecal impaction before (shown by scans). Every time I do pass fecal matter, I have to hold my breath and strain really hard to even get the smallest amount out. I can feel the pain and pressure in the back of my head and neck when i do this- and it feels like the air is being pushed up there and it gets painful/uncomfortable. I am extremely concerned that I am going to cause an aneurysm in my brain because of this. How likely is this? How do I know if I have one? How do I avoid it? *I think I am extra paranoid, because even though I am only 23yrs old, my grandpa died of an aneurysm exploding.* ..please help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear about your grandpa.If aneurysms formed due to applying pressure when passing stool there would be millions of people getting aneurysms of the brain, which is not the case.It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY for someone to get an aneurysm in the way that you have mentioned.I would recommend taking as much fiber as you can in your diet to soften up your stool and to increase the stool bulk so that you can pass it more easily.I would also recommend taking as many fluids as you can everyday.I think that it is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards