Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My chest has been really heavy on and off two weeks.

Customer Question

My chest has been really heavy on and off for about two weeks. It's worse when I get up and walk and move around. I start getting extremely lightheaded. Went to the hospital a week ago and they did a CT scan and x chest xray and said I have pleurisy. Nothing is getting better, though. I have piety much been confined to my need for 2 weeks and everything seems to be getting worse.
Side note: about a month ago I noticed I started getting a slightly lightheaded/headrush feeling when I even lightly exercised. At a pace of 2 on a treadmill my heart rate would go from 89 (my usual resting BPM) to 130. My resting blood pressure is also normal and I'm not overweight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!I suggest follow up on this. Pleuritis = pleurisy is inflammation of the lining between the lung and the chest wall. This is more frequently caused by a viral infection of the lower respiratory system. It is often responsive to improve with strong anti-inflammatory treatment such as Indocin 25 -50mg threes times a day ...Now it may get more complicated as pleuritis can be a symptom also along with a developing pneumonia as one possibility. Sometimes pleurisy may lead to fluid accumulation under one or both lungs = pleural effusion ...It is also not out of question that same viral infection MIGHT also cause inflammation of the lining around heart = pericarditis or even a viral infection of the heart muscle = myocarditis ..The latter would likely cause more severe chest pain and shortness of breath...Based on your history and symptoms I think that follow up evaluation is warranted . I would recommend that you have an echocardiogram of the heart to evaluate and possibly a follow up chest CT....PULSE oximetry at rest and post exercise of a brisk short walk may be helpful I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD