DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Weakness in thighs when I stand up from sitting or when on

Customer Question

weakness in thighs when I stand up from sitting or when on knees toing garden work then trying to get up
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: age 72 and type 2 diabetic for 50 years. Was fairly active-walk alot and still do. No other signs just general weakness-no tingles or pain
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of-see my doctor evry four months-labs etc. Just had echo EKG and all was fine. Slightly enemic and seeing a hemotolgist this week
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.
HelloYou need a test called a CPK.I would suggest you work with an internist or rheumatologist.This can be a condition called polymyositis, which weakens the girdle muscles, as you describe.It can be other conditions, but this is serious and needs to be ruled out. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am herehttp://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Diabetes can cause nerve damage over time.Diabetic polyneuropathy can cause weakness of the legs.A neurologist should be consulted with.Nerve conduction study and MRI scan of the spine should be considered.You should also consider physical therapy to help with the strengthening of the muscles and improve your balance.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 8 months ago.
HelloThe pattern of your weakness is not tyipcal of diabetes at all.Run this by your doctor.