Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My left foot has had swelling a month. The large

Customer Question

My left foot has had swelling for about a month. The large toe is normal; the other four are swollen. My doctor took blood to test for Gout; result was that I do not have Gout and mentioned that my white blood cell count is good. He also sent me to the hospital for ultrasounds on both legs to check for blood clots; result: no blood clots. Last week I drove to Emergency at a local hospital as when I awoke my left calf had doubled in size. To date, I've been on Augmentin, one every 12 hours for seven days and 800 mg. Ibuprofen, three per day, for swelling. The doctor at Emergency took three X-rays of my foot to check for any possible fracture or break. Everything was normal. I had told this doctor that last July I had been bitten by an insect or spider that I never saw and never felt the bite. The bite resulted in a large welt; both the welt and surrounding area was very itchy and bright red in color. Within three weeks, I had a lesion on my back which my doctor said was skin cancer. He removed it the following week and sent it to the lab. The lab report read: Seborrheic Keratosis, inflamed.....Neoplasm of unspecified nature....Malignancy is not identified. My doctor said this means that the Lesion only looked like skin cancer but was not such. This has always made me wonder if I had Lymes Disease. To be on the safe side, blood was drawn at the hospital to check for this disease; I won't have results until this Thursday. I'm not limping as much as I have over the first two weeks. It seems that the soreness in my foot moves around. One constant stiffness is in the front of my ankle and the bones on either side of the ankle are extremely tender. I also have bump/node on the inner right side of my foot. My doctor said that it could be a superficial clot but didn't seem concerned about it. The only other area of sensitivity is under my foot and to the inner side. I can only walk if I'm wearing shoes...never bare footed. I can't wear a sock on my left foot; any slight compression intensifies the pain. The only other painful area is the very center on the top of my foot. Between the top center to the bottom of my toes seems to be the area that swells the most. I can press down in that area with my thumb and it remains compressed. Well, thanks for your time and I'm hoping that you can think of something that my doctor hasn't thought of yet. Ed Finn (###) ###-#### Myrtle Beach, SC
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou need a venogram.Ultrasound can miss clots.Arthritis is also possible in the foot, and an MRI of the ankle is probably indicated. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/