khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

Hii i swallowed thermametor mercury four years ago is it harmfull?

Customer Question

hii i swallowed thermametor mercury four years ago is it harmfull?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: after that i am feeling lazy all the time ? feeling weekness also
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.
There are liquid-in-glass thermometers that contain a non-mercury silver substance (Galinstan®) that, according to its maker, is not toxic when swallowed because it passes through the digestive system without effect. Inhalation is also not a concern because there is no absorption through the lungs. Is it a real mercury thermometer?
Mercury is not absorbed through intact skin or from a healthy digestive tract in amounts that would cause toxic effects. Therefore, harmful effects would not be expected from swallowing or touching the small amount of mercury from a broken thermometer.