Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I went diving yesterday. First to 25 feet then to 70. Everything

Customer Question

I went diving yesterday. First to 25 feet then to 70. Everything went great but about 45 minutes later I staring getting dizzy the full on vertigo. Couldn't walk a start line. This morning I'm still dizzy but not as bad. I'm on vacation in belize
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You should first get your blood pressure checked.If high BP, that is the common cause.However, most likely cause, inner ear balance apparatus injury from the barotrauma.This is a common ailment and often recovers gradually over next 2 weeks.The inner ear organs are very sensitive to the change in pressure.You should get a clinical evaluation.As long as your symptoms do not worsen, you are likely safe.Please avoid diving for now.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it safe for me to fly. Is snorkeling ok?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Flying should be ok.But avoid any underwater activity till dizziness subsides completely.Snorkeling can make your symptoms worse.Best wishes
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine [by the American Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Integrative Medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.In fact you should not fly until your doctor has examined you.Barotrauma can still be aggravated by flying, as the pressure change is equivalent to 9000 feet in altitude, and the cabin is going to be pressurized and depressurized much more rapidly than if you were climbing.Be safe, not sorry.Make sure you don't have real problems before you fly.I am a double board certified US doctor.You can find me in medical daily by request for safe, accurate and comprehensive answers.Please click a positive on this answer, at the top, if you appreciate my answer [we are only paid when the rating is on our specific answer page.].Good luck.Hope all goes well.