Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I had ear surgery on Monday. The Dr. prescribed 60mg of prednisone

Customer Question

i had ear surgery on Monday. The Dr. prescribed 60mg of prednisone to control swelling. i ended up with sharp abdominal pains (lower left side) and he told me to stop taking the medication. After 3 days the pain hasn't gone away. it happens whenever i put weight on my left leg (walking up stairs, putting pants on, stepping the wrong way). While the pain isn't as sharp as earlier in the week it doesn't seem to be getting any better. any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi This is Dr Stan her to help you today. The lower left abdominal pain caused by weight bearing could be a GI problem. When you had the surgery, did you get any type of anesthesia? The pain you are describing sounds more like low back nerve or muscle pain. However, do you have any history of diverticulitis and did you have any fever when the pain started? If you get back to me with more information I will be better able to help you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I had anesthesia. I've never had diverticulitis and there has been no fever. There are no other symptoms other than the pain
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you don't think it's related to the prednisone I'll call my GP on Monday
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Then I need to stay with my first thoughts of muscle or nerve irritation which should resolve shortly. Prednisone would cause upper GI symptoms such as nausea, burning sensation in the stomach area, not lower GI symptoms. Call your GP and let him/her evaluate your lower back and also look for possible hernia, either inguinal or femoral as a cause. I hope this has been helpful and feel better soon. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan. Just checking in to ask how you are feeling today.