Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a swelling on top of my right ribs towards the bottom..

Customer Question

I have a swelling on top of my right ribs towards the bottom.. My ribs are slightly tender I have been doing a lot of yoga stretches. I have no other symtoms, no stomach pain etc
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HiI assume you want to know what this is.Even though we can not diagnose on line, I can give you some educated guesses.Please attach a picture here.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.This is likely due to the muscle inflammation from stretches an exercises. You can try ice pack 5-10 minute every hour with ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily with food for inflammation control. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
HIIt is not normal to have significant welling from stretching.Depending on where it is , this can be more serious.Skin infection.Gallbladder swelling if under the ribs.Allergic reaction.Rib fracture in rare cases.I will be glad to look at a picture as well.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Gallbladder inflammation will not cause swelling an will have other symptoms like nausea, vomiting. Muscle contusion is most likely explanation. Nothing serious. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have just noticed it yesterday and it just feels as if I have a slight bulge on my ribs at the bottom.. Hard to tell though if it's just my ribs
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
That is likely due to the inflammation of attached muscles nothing else. Ribs will not swell like that as they are made of hard bones. You should give some rest, avoid stretches for a week or so. Icing and ibuprofen should help with faster recovery. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
HiOur policy guidelines are that we can not treat or diagnose on line.You clearly need and exam.As I stated there are a number of possibilities.Glad to look at a picture if you attach.muscle swelling is not normal here.Double board certified US doctor. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/