Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

2 yrs ago lost 1/2 hearing in right ear and had constant ringing

Customer Question

2 yrs ago lost 1/2 hearing in right ear and had constant ringing in both. Over last two weeks right ear hearing loss has gotten much worse, sounds muffled, rings louder, and cannot hear with back grand noise
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and sjogrens but I'm still convinced it's ms
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also have experienced significant decline in cognitive functioning as well as short term memory - progressed much faster then expected. Mood swings have started and I'm ashamed shortly after
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you had any tests done like MRI or any blood tests?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OH YEAH!!! Constipation - can no longer have a bowl movement without a
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, mri 2 yrs back and a series of cognitive functioning tests in Houston as well as psych Evals to rule out other conditions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Prozac 40
Zoninisimide 50 mg twice day for migraines (was on topomax but switched to that to rule out medicine cause)
Xanax 1 mg as needed
30 mg adderall ( when working full time was on 100 mg vyvanse) and stopped for months but was put on adderall to help with fatigue and add
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cogn tests showed 80+ % imparement in executive functionionng - forgot the other imparement so after hearing that
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.First things first. I think that you need to have your hearing evaluated properly by making an appointment with an ENT doctor.I think that you will require an audiogram or audiometry to find out exactly how severe your hearing problem is and to try and find out what is causing it.Once your hearing tests are done I would also recommend repeating a MRI after consultation with your ENT doctor.Also, I think that the memory problems that you are having may very well be related to the medications that you are on and may not be related to Alzheimer's disease.I would also recommend that you should have your vitamin B12 tested if you have not had that done already as that can also lead to the symptoms that you are having.I am pretty sure that your thyroid function would have been evaluated but if that is not done then I would like that you should have a TSH done at the very least to be sure.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. There is nothing suggestive of MS in your history.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was evaluated by a ear Doctor - 2 hour exam which is what led to the mriI saw two different neurologists in Houston bc I didn't want to accept the diagnosis - my grandmother has early onset.ALL of my meds were changed to make sure none were causing problemsWhat is your specialty?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Had both audiogram or audiometry - was hooked up to machine in addition to having earphones and pressing a button
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
HelloThis is a different expert.I am a double board certified US doctor.This is not MS. that would have shown on MRI an you do not have an MS picture. Without question you do not. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I accept i don't have ms, I'm concerned about the hearing loss, is this normal for ad?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the inability to have a bowel movement without mag sulf?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
And what are your specialties
Hearing loss is not normal and need evaluation.It is not normal to be constipate.I am double board certified in clinical medicine and integrative medicine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No shit - that's why I asked bc both are not normal! Questions if related to early onset Alzheimer's
Hearing is not related to early onset AZ.Constipation is not directly related. HOwever, if the AZ is making it difficult to take in enough liquid, proper diet and do enough walking, then this indirectly can aggravate AZ disease.