Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

1,5 week ago my father's right leg started swelling. He went to the ER because

Customer Question

Hello 1,5 week ago my father`s right leg started swelling. He went to the ER because they thought he had a bloodcloth. Turned out he had large swollen lymphnodes in his groin and the right site of the abdomen (Close to the aorta) A CT scan from the testicles and up to the neck did not show any other swollen lymph nodes. His bloodwork is ok, but one test LDH was very high (800) I have read that this can give a bad prognosis in lymphoma and other cancers , and I am now scared to death. He had no other symtoms apart from the swollen leg (no Fever, night sweats etc) One week after he was at the hospital they finally removed one of his large lymphnodes. It will take one week before he will get the result.High LDH is supposed to be a marker for aggresive disease, and I am afraid that the 2 weeks it will take from he went to hospital untill he will get his diagnosis will be too long and that the cancer can spread during these 2 weeks. How Dangerous is an elveated LDH when diagnosed With lymph
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that LDH is non-specific for cancer. High LDH cannot predict Lymphoma or cancer on its own. High LDH is mostly indicative of muscle breakdown and it can be elevated in mostly liver disease, hemolytic anemia, muscular breakdown, pancreatitis, heart disease, infection and others like that. It can also rise in lymphoma BUT not very common and most common reasons to rule out first. It seems that most likely in your father's case its due to infection. Please relax and I wish your father best of luck for biopsy results. Please click positive rating hopefully excellent. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me. Best wishesDr. Amir Javed