Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I had hernia repair surgery on January 29 this year and

Customer Question

I had hernia repair surgery on January 29 this year and lately for a while I have been having abdominal pain, nausea and fever elevated slightly. Today my regular primary care doctor had me get an Ultrasound done a special way. He responded back that the Ultrasound today came back showing an abscess at surgical site. I have several questions since I need to go back to surgeon for this my questions are:1) do you think I will have to be admitted to the hospital, 2) how do you think they will treat the abscess do you think they will have to do surgery again and 3) my mom and I are supposed to go to Sweden on May 22 can this abscess prevent us that we will have to cancel our trip to Sweden because I hope not my mom will be so upset if we have to cancel since we can't get money back.So those are questions I have if you can answer to best of your ability.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.
Any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have any other medical issues just an under active thyroid.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another question concerning the abscess if I can't get in sooner than my scheduled appointment with surgeon on June 16 after I return from Sweden is there any possibility the abscess could get bigger or worse off waiting till then.
1)no, they will probably be able to treat it locally2)They will cut it open and drain it in the office3)you should be fine to go
Thanks for this questionplease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)if you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have another question my hernia surgery that I had the incision which they did as open is just above navel and upward I had about 12 staples in so that is where the abscess is located. There is no way possible that my abscess can get bigger. Because I ran into a friend that last year late had surgery because he had a polyp on colon so they did it open procedure across they had to remove part of his colon and he was telling me that he knows someone that had similar surgery as he had that has an abscess and he was telling me his stomach is so extended because of the abscess so that is why I was wondering if it is possible for my abscess to get bigger and stomach to get extended.
the abscess can go inside
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you mean by the abscess can go inside? Don't know what that mean what would be some signs and symptoms I should look out for while traveling in Sweden if the abscess can get worse off that I need to seek care. My mom took out travel insurance if we need medical but, I was wondering how they would handle it then if I should need medical since I am a 100% Disabled Veteran so the only places I go here in the States for care are VA Medical Center because I don't have any regular or other health insurance. I even got which I never took with me to Sweden which we go to every year from my doctor to bring with me is a print out of my current medications, should I also print out from the computer what it says from the Ultrasound test I had a week or so ago that mentions an abscess to print what the Radiology report says and bring that as well.
I mean the abscess can spread internallySo there is no limit to the size of an abscessYes I would print out whatever you can get
thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply