Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Dry cough and chest irritation from western red cedar I work

Customer Question

Dry cough and chest irritation from western red cedar I work in a sawmill
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No those r my only symptoms and quite bothersome
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.The respiratory tract is vulnerable to occupational hazards.This includes exposure to organic and inorganic dusts generated from various industries especially saw dust.The saw dust acts an irritant to the respiratory tract and this irritation causes pulmonary symptoms like cough and chest infections as well.The best course of action is to see your PCP, have your chest examined and a chest x ray should be done to rule out any injury to the lungs. If there is anything of concern found then a referral to the pulmonologist should be made for Pulmonary Function Tests and to rule out Asthma - which is a common condition found in saw mill workers. If there are any signs of bronchospasm or asthma, then steroid and bronchodilator inhalers will be prescribed to you.Wearing protective face masks have shown to decrease the symptoms by several folds. Steam nebulizations four times a day with menthol will also promote expectoration of irritants, humidify the respiratory tract and soothe the throat.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.