Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

64,male,just developed diverticulosis in the pass year causing

Customer Question

64,male,just developed diverticulosis in the pass year causing chronic constipation. its located at the top of the descending colon. my gastro dr. has me on a regiment of fiber and laxatives to keep eliminations regular and dicyclomine and probiotics for cramps. I have tried to investigate different procedures to fix this problem. the only two procedures I have found is lavage or resection for diverticulitis, Is there any new minimal invasive surgery that will remove the pouch and return the large intestine to normal such as inverting the pouch and tying it off or a chemical astringent to shrink the pouch?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloNO.It is not a surgical problem unless it is extensive.and lavage is not a solution.It usually does not cause consipation.Laxatives is a bad idea long term.I suggest there is more than one problem going on here.If overweight, that needs to be corrected.Thyroid function needs to be checked, and if TSH is over 2.5, there is a problem contributing to this.Diet is key.Daily you should have:oat brancooked and ground flax seed.stewed fruitsteamed and peeled veggies.peeled apples.Pill fibers are not adequate and to not adequately address this condition. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/