Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have lower leg edema with possible new diagnosis of Lipedema.

Customer Question

I have lower leg edema with possible new diagnosis of Lipedema. What can I do for the Lipedema?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Im currently on a diuretic for the edema. It helps a lot, when I'm not taking it the edema is worse. However with diet modification, exercise and calorie reduction I can not seem to loose the weight.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: H/O of Breast Cancer, HTN, and CHF(dystolic)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidlymphedema is excessive lymphatic fluid in the leg due to damage or injury or inflammation of lymph nodes usually in the groin inguinal area or pelvis not able to properly process lymphatic fluid from the leg which causes swelling.usually it occurs in one leg if surgery is done on groin lymph nodes in the area.if the swelling is in both legs, it is usually not called lymphedema, but most often just dependent edema in the lower extremities.avoiding salt in your diet can help keep your fluid retention down.when you are sitting down, you have to elevate your swollen leg or legs up above your heart like in a recliner all the way backit can be tough to do if you don't have a recliner than can do this.you can also lay sideways on a 3 person couch and put 3-4 pillows under your leg or legs to get them up above your heart to decrease swelling.congestive heart failure is a common cause of having fluid in both of your legs.for these patients, they often have water and fluid restrictions. like you can't drink more than 1 liter of fluids a day.and you have to weight yourself daily to check your weight. increased weight often is due to too much water coming into your body.a diuretic can help, but you have to avoid salt in your diet and also avoid drinking too much water.have you tried this yet?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HiI see that you have a "possible new diagnosis of lymphedema".It can be in both legs.To answer your questions:Exercise, massage, wraps, pneumatic compression and other treatments are available, even surgery.You need to see a specialist.Here is a mayo clinic write up on this.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lymphedema/basics/treatment/con-20025603 OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/