Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have a lump that is well under my shoulder blade and it's

Customer Question

I have a lump that is well under my shoulder blade and it's kinda sore but not real sore. I had a massage and she said it's not a knot. What could it be?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I don't know anything other than it does not appear above the skin and it is about the size of a nickel under my left shoulder blade. It's seems to be shrinking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I scheduled a dr appt but have a week and just wanted to know what it could potentially be?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Did you have any injury?For how long you have this lump?Has it increased in size with time?Any other health problem? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No health problems and no injuries. The lump has grown a little but seems to be done. It's not on top of the skin, it's under the skin
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dear,Thanks for all these additional details. This can be a case of Lipoma, It is a non-cancerous tumour that is made up of fat cells. It slowly grows under the skin in the subcutaneous tissue. Its exact cause is not known.Torso, neck and shoulder are the most common site.It is non cancerous.It is diagnosed by physical examination by your doctor. Other possibility could be- Cyst. These are benign growths that can occur under the skin anywhere on the body.Such cyst are round lumps and can be felt just beneath the skin surface. They are very common. Usually they are small of the pea size but sometimes they slowly get bigger over many months to become a few centimeters in diameter. Associated pain, could be related with inflamed cyst.You can take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription and will relieve the pain.Also if the condition doesn't improve , then it can be removed by a simple operation under local anesthesia. In such case a small incision is made over the cyst. Typically, the cyst can be easily removed.I am sure, this is not related with any serious issue. Please don't get panic. Good to hear that you have got next week appointment with your doctor. They would clinically examine it and advise appropriate line of treatment. I hope this helps.If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business