Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have been sick while and can;t figure out what's really

Customer Question

I have been sick for a while and can;t figure out what's really wrong- I kind of feel like I have the flu or a virus- anyway I went in my PC 2 weeks ago- she listened to my chest and said it was clear- but gave me anitbiotics 'just in case'= I did not take them because I really don't think they help a virus- anyway I also went and had a chest xray this last weekend at the urgent care because I was feeling so tired I thought maybe I had bronchitis- but still the xray is clear- they did blood and said my monocytes are elevated 12.9 but that is isn't a lot -but may be a sign I'm fighting a virus - also my MCHC was 33 just a tiny bit low- all of the other blood was normal ( a cbc differential- she called it)- but on the xray she says I have a slightly enlarged heart- now is this anything to worry about or is in response to a virus? I am overweight at 210 5'6 and am taking med for hypertension but it seems controlled- I am wondering though if this could explain the major fatigue that I have- ? as luck would have it my favorite PC is not back on till Monday and I have made an appointment to follow up- but I'm just wondering if I should be freaked out about the heart thing-? I have no chest pains
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloFirst, you need an echocardiogram.You could have early heart failure and fatigue is a symptom of this.Have thyroid studies to make sure you are not hypothyroid, also causes fatigue.I would do these two right away.No indication for antibiotics.A viral infection is only one cause of an enlarged heart, hypertension is another. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is it ok to wait till Monday when I have an appointment with my PC? its one week from today
I see no reason that you can not, unless you develop new or worsening symptoms. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/