Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My 87 yr old mother is in end of life on hospice in a MA nursing

Customer Question

My 87 yr old mother is in end of life on hospice in a MA nursing home, has not eaten solid foods for over a month, but takes drinks and ice cream every day. She is on hospice. Is it absolutely necessary for her to have a suppository and enema every 3 days? Doing this makes her uncomfortable and agitated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloThis has to be discussed with the MD director.lIT is necessary if not doing it causes her pain and an untoward, painful death.
HiBasically, the idea is to keep her comfortable.The MD who is writing the orders would have to way the discomfort of the enema against the discomfort and suffering, if any, if she does not get these.The nurse can clarify this with the doctor.Or, you can. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/